Returning Students

As an undergraduate student, you must apply for readmission through the Registrar’s Office if you’re deemed a returning student. Learn more below about how we define a returning student and the actions you can take. 

When to Apply for Readmission

If you’re an undergraduate and you were absent for only one term, you don’t need to apply for readmission. 

However, if you haven’t been registered for two or more consecutive terms, you’re considered a returning student and must apply for readmission. To do this, you’ll need to fill out an Application for Readmission with the Registrar’s Office. Do not fill out the UC Undergraduate Application for Admission and Scholarships (the application form you originally used for first-time admission to UCLA).

Students who plan to attend a non-UC study-abroad program can avoid readmission by taking a planned academic leave of absence (PAL).

Questions? Email the Registrar’s Office.

Visit the Registrar’s Office website 


Learn more about UCLA
Hear more about events in your area, application deadlines and more.