Transferring Credits to UCLA

Every year more and more students complete coursework at other institutions before they apply to UCLA. If this is you, it’s important to understand how the coursework you complete at other schools will affect your progress toward your degree. Inform yourself now so you wont be surprised later.

Evaluating Credit for Coursework Done Before Applying

Due to the large number of applicants, we’re not able to evaluate prospective students’ coursework in terms of transferability to UCLA. Course-by-course evaluations are only done for admitted students who’ve notified us that they plan to enroll.

If you’re attending another UC campus or California community college, most of your academic coursework will probably be transferable. For more information, visit ASSIST, the statewide transfer information site.

If you attend another four-year or out-of-state institution, you can compare the catalog descriptions of courses you've taken against course descriptions in UCLA's General Catalog, though finding a similar course doesn't guarantee that your credits will transfer. You may review our four-year and Out-of-State Transferability Guide for more information.

For more information, please refer to Transfer Requirements.

Who Determines Which Credits Transfer

The Undergraduate Admission office determines the transferability of coursework taken at other institutions for newly admitted transfer students. 

The Registrar’s office determines the transferability of coursework for current UCLA students who attend other institutions during the summer. In doing so, both offices follow the UC’s transfer credit practices

When Course Credits for Current Students Are Approved

The Registrar’s office will only evaluate non-UCLA coursework after courses have been completed and an official transcript with final grades has been received. 

If you’re participating in a study abroad organization that requires a signature in order for you to register, you should contact your school or college. Please note, however, that the signature doesn’t guarantee that credit will be awarded.

To receive credit, you must:

  • Attend a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or a recognized university in another country. If you have questions concerning the accreditation or recognition of the institution you plan to attend, please contact us.
  • Take academic courses which are substantially similar to those offered by the UC system.
  • Take courses that don’t repeat material you have already completed.
  • Take all coursework in the proper sequential order.
  • Request that the institution attended (this includes UCLA Extension) send us an official transcript. Requests for transcripts from foreign institutions should be made before you leave the country. No credit will be awarded for coursework appearing on a transcript issued by a study abroad organization.
  • Check your Degree Audit Report on MyUCLA (please allow four weeks from the date you requested your transcript). If you have questions about the posting of your credit on the Degree Audit, please submit your inquiry through the message center on MyUCLA.

Sending Transcripts


Electronic transcripts are our preferred method of submission and are accepted from the following vendors:

  • Credentials, Inc. - TranscriptsNetwork, use this service, please do not send through email
  • E-Scrip
  • National Student Clearinghouse
  • Naviance
  • Parchment
  • Scoir

We must receive your transcript directly from the transcript vendor. Make sure to select UCLA Undergraduate Admission if required by the vendor.

We won’t accept transcripts sent through email as official. If your school doesn’t utilize these vendors, you’ll need to submit official paper copies of your documents.

Please note: Once the transcript is downloaded by our office, processing time is still required. Please allow up to 10 business days for MyUCLA to be updated.

Due to volume, we cannot respond to emails requesting updates regarding transcripts/documents processing. You must check MyUCLA .

By Mail

If your school is unable to send electronic transcripts via the approved vendors listed above, paper transcripts can be mailed to:

UCLA Undergraduate Admission
Attn: Transcripts
1147 Murphy Hall, Box 951436
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1436

Note: Paper documents will only be considered official if they are sent in a sealed school envelope with a stamp or signature on the flap of the envelope.

For continuing students, during summer, please allow 3-4 weeks for transcript processing and then check MyUCLA.

Coursework Credit You May Be Able to Receive

See below to get an idea of the different ways both prospective and current UCLA students can receive credit for coursework done in advance.

Credit from Advanced Placement (AP) Exams

UCLA awards college credit for AP exams with scores of three or higher. The specific credit you receive depends on the college/school your major belongs to: 

Credit from International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams

UCLA awards college credit for most IB higher level exams with scores of 5 or higher. (We don’t award college credit for standard level exams.) The specific credit you receive depends on the college/school your major belongs to:

Credit for UCLA Summer Sessions

Regularly enrolled undergraduates may attend UCLA Summer Sessions for full unit and grade credit. Summer Sessions work is recorded on your UCLA transcript and grades earned are computed in your grade point average.

Check with your college or school counselor about applying these courses toward your minimum unit requirements and for any limitations your college or school may impose on Summer Sessions study. Unlike enrollment in regular terms, you may attend another college/institution for credit while enrolled in UCLA Summer Session.

Credit for Non-UCLA Summer Sessions

From a four-year institution:

You may attend a summer session at a four-year institution or University Extension after you become a UCLA student. Grades earned in a regular summer session at another UC campus are computed in your GPA; grades earned during a summer session at a non-UC institution are not computed in your GPA. The University Extension catalogs provide information regarding the transferability of their courses. Review this information prior to enrolling.

From a community college: 

You may also attend a community college summer session after you become a UCLA student. You’ll receive only unit credit for summer session coursework taken; grades earned during summer session at an institution other than a UC campus are not computed in your grade point average.

UCLA will apply up to 70 semester or 105 quarter credits completed at a community college toward the degree. Units earned in excess of this amount may satisfy subject requirements (general education/preparation for the major), but no further unit credit toward the degree will be granted.

In addition, if you’re a student in the College and have completed 105 quarter units, regardless of the institutions attended, you won’t receive unit credit toward the degree for courses completed at a community college. Units earned in excess of this amount may satisfy subject requirements (general education/preparation for the major), but no further unit credit toward the degree will be granted.

Consult your academic counselor and UCLA’s General Catalog for more information.

Credit for Units or Subject Matter Toward Degree Requirements

Although the admission office may grant unit or subject credit for work completed at another institution, the work may not necessarily apply to specific UCLA degree requirements (i.e., general education or major requirements). Contact your college and/or major advisor regarding specific credit applications and limitations. Also, be aware of the residence requirements, which are specific to your school or college.

Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent enrollment means taking courses for credit in UCLA regular session (fall, winter or spring Quarter) and at another institution (including UCLA Extension) at the same time. Concurrent enrollment is not permitted except in extraordinary circumstances, and no credit will be given for courses taken concurrently elsewhere without prior approval from your college or school. 

Frequently Asked Questions

After you enter your high school course work, you will be asked to provide information about any college courses you have taken or plan to take.
Learn more about UCLA
Hear more about events in your area, application deadlines and more.