The Samueli School of Engineering offers the following undergraduate majors. Select any of the majors below to learn more about it:
Computer Science and Engineering
Applicants to the Samueli School of Engineering must have a minimum 3.4 GPA at the time of application to be considered for admission. At the time of entrance, applicants must have attained junior standing (60 semester or 90 quarter units) and completed preparation for the selected major. Please note that admission to the Samueli School of Engineering is highly selective.
- Two transferable courses in English composition are required.
- Calculus and analytic geometry, calculus of several variables, differential equations, and linear algebra.
- Aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering do not require differential equations but instead require a mathematics of engineering course.
- Calculus-based courses with labs in mechanics of solids, vibration, wave motion, sound, fluids, heat, electricity and magnetism, electromagnetic waves, light, and relativity.
- Two terms of general chemistry with lab
- Only one course in general chemistry is required for electrical engineering.
- One year of chemistry with lab and two terms of organic chemistry are required for bioengineering and chemical engineering.
- Computer engineering, computer science, and computer science and engineering do not require a chemistry course.
- One course in Java, C, C++ or Matlab
- Applicants to electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or computer science and engineering should take C++. For all other majors, Matlab is preferred.
- One year of biology with lab for the major (cellular, molecular, and genetic) is strongly recommended for bioengineering.
- At least one course from the humanities or social sciences for UC eligibility, though applicants are encouraged to complete up to four courses in those areas and one life science elective.
- Completion of IGETC or UC Reciprocity is not required for entrance to these majors.
- Students may satisfy core requirements by completing engineering courses in statics, dynamics, strength of materials, properties of materials, and circuit analysis, depending on their major.
- Minimum GPA: 3.4
- IGETC not required; partial IGETC not accepted
- Double-major possible: Yes. Students may double major only if the second major is outside the School of Engineering and must be approved by the other major and college.
- Supplemental application required: No
Samueli School of Engineering
Phone: (310) 825-9442
Frequently Asked Questions
Computer science recommends you have all your major preparatory courses completed by the end of spring prior to transferring.